The following information was generated by Bob Birmingham and provided to me by Bill Stroud. Mr. Stroud indicates that Manley is buried at St. David's Episcopal Church in Wayne, Pennsylvania.
Genealogical information on the web indicates Henry DeHaven Manley married Harriet J. Early on June 4, 1874 . See also the letter from Manley dated March 24, 1862.
Henry was born December 20, 1839 at Chester, Pennsylvania. He was appointed from the state of Pennsylvania to the Navy as Acting Midshipman, September 25, 1856, at U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md. He graduated and was appointed Midshipman, on June 15, 1860.
Ordered to the USS Brooklyn, July 1860, Henry was Assistant Hydrographer to Lieutenant Jeffers, USN, during survey of Chiriqui Lagoon, Isthmus of Panama. The Brookly joined the Gulf, (Mexican) Squadron early in 1861, and was at the reinforcement of Fort Pickens, in which Midshipman Manley took an active part. She then went to Pass-a-l'Outre, Mississippi River and was the first blockading vessel off New Orleans. Midshipman Manley was made prize-master of the first prize vessel, the barkentine H.E. Spearing, of New Orleans with a cargo of coffee from Rio de Janeiro. The prize was taken to Key West, Florida, and turned over to the Admiralty Court for adjudication.
He then joined the USS Crusader which ship shortly afterwards proceeded to New York for repairs. Henry was promoted to Master, September 19, 1861, and was next ordered to the US frigate Congress, at Newport News, VA.
During the fight of March 8, 1862, with the Confederate iron-clad Virginia, Henry commanded the three division of guns on the Congress main deck. He was slightly wounded in this engagement and received very complimentary letter from commanding officer. (No reference to this in the ORN)
In April, 1862, he was ordered to duty at the US Navy Yard, Philadelphia, but upon his request for active war service the Navy Department countermanded the order. Promoted to Lieutenant on July 16, 1862, Henry was ordered to the USS Canandaigua on the blockading squadron off Charleston, S.C. Henry commanded Canandaigua's howitzer boats and landing party at the capture of Morris Island via Stono Inlet; was engaged in all the fights under Admirals Du Pont and Dahlgren with Forts Sumter, Wagner, and Moultrie, and the batteries on Morris and Sullivan's Islands protecting Charleston. He performed night picket duty with howitzer boats under the walls of Sumter, had temporary command of the USS Nipsic and of the Canandaigua and for several months was commanding and senior officer of the off-shore blockade with four vessels, including the Canandaigua, as flag-ship. He recovered eight Enfield rifles, nine bayonets, eight battle axes, one patent lead and line, ten pounds of glue, five small jars of preserves, one dozen gilt buttons, one table cover and 19 sabers from the blockade runner Georgiana on March 20, 1863, met a Confederate flag-of-truce boat and received packages on July 5, 1863, and was in command of two boats during an expedition into the Folly River on July 9, 1863.
During the summer of 1864, Henry went North on a short furlough, was then ordered to the US steamer State of Georgia, and again joined the blockading forces off Charleston, S.C. While blockading Bull's Bay, and Lieutenant Manley in temporary command (Captain Stanly being ashore with a landing party), Charleston was evacuated by the Confederates. The State of Georgia was to carry Lieutenant-Commander E.O. Matthews, of Admiral Dahlgren's staff with all despatch to Fortress Monroe to carry the news. Lieutenant-Commander Matthews telegraphed the Navy Department from Fortress Monroe, and he thus gave the North the first authentic news of Charleston's evacuation.
Henry returned to station and shortly after was ordered to the US monitor Canonicus as Executive-Officer. The Canonicus formed one of a squadron of three vessels, which proceeded to Havan, Cuba, to seize the Confederate iron-clad ram Stonewall. After performing this duty, the Canonicus proceeded to Philadelphia Navy Yard, where the officers were detached and the ship put out of commission at the end of the war.
Henry served as Executive-Officer of the US frigate Sabine 1865-6. He was promoted to Lieutenant-Commander on July 25, 1866, and was attached to the frigate Franklin serving as flag-ship, European Station, under Admiral Farragut, 1867-8. He was on duty at the Hydrographic Office, Navy Department, 1868-9 and attached to USS Lancaster, serving as flag-ship, Brazil Station, 1870-72. During that period commanded the USS Wasp part of the time, and at expiration of his cruise, Henry returned home by mail steamer.
He was under instruction at Torpedo Station, Newport, R.I., 1872-3; on ordnance duty at the Washington Navy Yard, 1873-4; and was promoted to Commander on April 5, 1874. He served as Instructor at the Torpedo Station, 1875-6; was ordered to command USS Ranger in November, 1876, and joined the Asiatic Station via Suez Canal. Henry returned in command of the USS Alert, in 1879, via San Francisco and went on duty at the office of War Records, Navy Department, 1880-2.
Henry retired on January 31, 1883 or on Jun 1, 1884 from causes "incidental to the service," -- loss of hearing, and was reported living in Washington, D.C., although the state of residence was Pennsylvania. Henry died on November 29, 1893.
Records of Living Officers of the US Navy, c1890, L.R. Hamersly.
List of Officers of the US Navy and of the Marine Corps 1775-1900, c1901, E.W. Callahan, ed.
ORN Series 1, Volumes 4, 13, 14, 15, 16.
Naval Register, 1864, 1867, 1875, 1885